Wednesday, September 11, 2013

I live where?

 "The Town So Nice, They Named It Twice." This is the slogan of my new town of residence. In case you've missed something, I now live in Walla Walla, which is probably the most interestingly named place I've lived yet. The name comes from a Native American tribe that made their home in this valley and means "many waters." Some of the descendents of the Walla Walla people live on the Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation, which is about thirty-five miles away.

Anyways, a little about Walla Walla. It's the smallest place I've ever lived by far (approximately 45,000 people in the valley) and is in the country.Very much in the country. When I looked at the "For Sale" boards on Craigslist and Facebook I found people giving away or selling chickens, ponies, goats, zucchini, and farm equipment and hardware. I'm 58 miles from the closest Target, can easily find at least four country music stations, and am able to drive though 20+ miles of wheat fields before finding a town (see picture below).

Also, this town-so-nice-it-was-named-twice houses the state penitentiary and its violent offenders. Apparently Walla Walla had the option of having either a Washington State University satellite campus or "the pen." They chose the the latter. Wild, wild West indeed.


 The Walla Walla County Courthouse


Quintessential small town America

Miles and miles and miles of fields



Lots of old Victorian style homes

My first experience with a dust storm

No comments:

Post a Comment